We have been lucky enough to work with a not-for-profit organization called EPIC Recruit Assist to offer software testing training to a group of young adults on the autism spectrum, through a new initiative known as the “EPIC TestAbility Academy”.
In this talk, we will describe:
- What is the autism spectrum and why it aligns with software testing
- How this relationship came about
- Why it is important to seek opportunities that drive diversity
- Key relationships, shared goals and building the vision
- The importance of communication
- Building a balanced programme
- Preparation that was required to get the programme off the ground
- Lessons learned in finding participants
- Lessons learned delivering the training
- The outcomes for the candidates on completion of the programme.
- What autism is and how those with autism can be particularly suited to IT work.
- Why you should think about reaching out and helping to grow the IT community.
- An insight into how you can go about getting a program up and running and the problems you might encounter.